It’s about time to start our module on Science Fiction. The first author I’m going to introduce is Mary Shelley, the writer of Frankenstein.
The first video is a Summary of the novel you have already read 🙂 Just to revise it in a visual form.
The following videoclip is taken from “Frankenstein “the 1931 classic showing the trials and tribulations of the man and his monster, directed by James Whale and starring Boris Karloff and Colin Clive.
The third video is taken from Kenneth Branagh’s movie Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein (1994 ) and it’s the scene of The CREATION OF THE MONSTER. Sticking close to the original novel, Kenneth Branagh guides us through the story of Frankenstein’s quest for knowledge and his creature’s search for his “father”. Director: Kenneth Branagh/Release Date: 4 November 1994starring Robert de Niro, Kenneth Branagh and Helena Bonham Carter.
- Assignment 1 After watching the clip answer the following questions IN YOUR NOTEBOOK.
- What leads to the creation of the monster?
- What does Dr.Frankenstein look like? How does he feel before and after the creation?
- What does he say DURING and AFTER his creation?
- Does the soundtrack contribute to the atmosphere of the scene?
- Assignment 2 Leave your comment below answering to the following:
- Which of the 2 monsters you have seen do you find more impressive and why?
You can also have a look at this presentation I found while surfing the net . It’s incredible how many things you come across … by pure chance!
You can also have a look at this funny website Frankenstein in 60 seconds. I find the girl’s voice unbearable but you may like her. It’s a way of making literature very easy and understandable to everybody. As I see it it’s a way of trivializing great masterpieces, not my cup of tea 😉
FOLLOW UP : watch this video published May 22 2012 & produced by Ridley Scott (director of Blade Runner, the Gladiator, Prometheus to mention just a few) PROPHETS OF SCIENCE FICTION. You can watch it here full screen (you can adapt the quality of the video HD/High/Low according to your computer speed by clicking QUALITY) http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/prophets-of-science-fiction/videos/prophets-of-science-fiction-a-life-about-death.htm or embedded from youtube below:
- Time required: 50 minutes
- Do the activities in the worksheet you’ll receive by email.
After all this work and effort you deserve a treat & a laugh: a clip from the the 1974 comically brilliant movie Frankenstein Junior. It’s a pun on the world “werewolf” (lupo-mannaro) & Where wolf? LOL Nella traduzione italiana il gioco di parole è andato perso 🙁