Hi! I still do not know what kind of technology will be availabe tomorrow but I’ve made up my mind on how to start our term on literature. No other poet could better embody the pure essence of Creativity, the fight against the injustices os his time and the constant wish to balance & blend the OPPOSITE FORCES of life in a PERENNIAL QUEST FOR HARMONY which will be one of the main threads – together with JOURNEY as a form of discovery and breaking down of certainties also touched by his production – running through our syllabus. I’ve found a TV documentary you may find interesting. In order to help you while listening, try to decide whether the following statements are True or false.
- Blake during his life was outraged with the injustices in the world.
- For him the whole point of life was to open up to the infinite, the divine, the spirit.
- Newton in his painting was obsessed by his own imagination.
- He saw himself as a prophet.
- His illuminated printings are at The British Museum.
- He believed that poor people in England were free, not in chains. He portrayed only rich people.
- During his life he was ignored and neglected but very much appreciated by the generation of the 60s because he was a man ahead of his time.
- He handprinted his books because everything was sacred, a sort of revelation.
Since Blake’s message according to the documentary was: EMBRACE A WORLD OF CREATIVITY I’ve chosen this second video animation, highly visual.
The last video is an animation. Sheila Graber was Commissioned by the Tate Gallery to create a movie for their 1977 Blake Exhibition. She was even invited down into the Sculpture Hall where she actually made the movie in public view – thus demonstrating how animation on cel is actually done. It follows “The Poets” journey from Heaven to Hell and back… showing that, as Blake said, “Energy is Eternal delight and whether we create of destroy-it’s the same energy.”
How did you like that animation for such a complex poet as William Blake? Does it suit his work? Read your schoolmates’ comments & choose the one you feel the closest to your view. See you 2morrow.