Hi everybody. This post is addressed to those fantastic students of 2F & 2M (Liceo Linguistico) who spent with their fabulous teachers Cristiana Ziraldo, Alessandra Fantin and myself a terrific and physically demanding whole week in Broadstairs at the Broadstairs English Centre. We all had a great time: the lessons were interesting, teachers were involving and funny, the families were caring, the location Broadstairs is a lovely little town by the sea that allowed us to go everywhere on foot – I’ll have to buy a new pair of shoes now, not to mention my poor feet 😉 – and, believe it or not, the weather was fantastic, sunny, windy and springy with all trees in full blossom. We also went sightseeing Canterbury and London, including the visit to Shakespeare’s Globe theatre.
You can have a look at some of the photos here at Flicker.
Now, let’s get to the point. We’ve devised a creative writing activity aimed at treasuring and sharing your experience of study-tour (stage linguistico) with each other, with your friends and schoolmates and also with Broadstairs English Centre. We would like you to DO something with your learning and create a learning object. Title: We ❤ Broadstairs!
HOW: You can work in pairs or groups of 3.
WHAT TO REPORT ABOUT: you can choose among the following topics. Keep in mind that your tone should be positive and even funny with a good sense of humour 🙂
- Epiphanies: discoveries about yourself, life, different cultures … you’ve made.
MEANS/MEDIA of your final product.
- Make a general presentation using Prezi. You need to log in. Why a Prezi? here’s a nice Prezi to tell you.
- or a Paper Poster (if you’re not a digital lover but have a flair for drawing)
- Create a talking image: choose one of the photos you took and record your message using Fotobabble. Here’s mine with the instructions on how to make one. CLICK on it & listen. It took me 10 minutes. Of course you’ll have to take the right photo!
- Even better you can tell a story using your images at Narrable. It’s easy, fun and you can upload lots of your photos and record your voice. Look at my short story. There’s also a tutorial in English (but you’ll have to copy the link as a comment here not in Edmodo, the equivalent of our Schoology, as they say)
- Make an online booklet at Bookr. To look for the available photos you have to write a word related to your content under TAG (ex: Broadstairs). Or if you load into a Flicker account your photos and make them public, you can use your own photos :). Here’s some examples by some of my students on animals “My life as. a fox, a dolphin, a mosquito or Global Warming. Watch a quick video tutorial:
- Make a PADLET (formerly Wallwisher); it is a free application to create an online bulletin board that you can use to display information for any topic. Easily create an account and build a new notice-board. You can add images, links, videos, and more.
- [padlet key=’j5pbwc2e81′ width=’100%’ height=’480′]
- Make a created animated video at PowToon. See the one of my Christmas wishes. or Francesca’s on Social Networks. Here’s a tutorial video on how to use it:
- You can make an animated video at Animoto. You only need to sign up for a free account but remember it’s only 1 minute i the free account. See Sofia’ s or Giovanni&Riccardo‘s on Social networks. Watch a quick video tutorial (Fatto da me in italiano)
- Make a video advertising the “stage linguistico” or study tour. Then publish it in YouTube.
- We could also use a free iPad App I’ve got: TouchCast that allows you to create a video that looks like a TV production! We could try it!
- Last but not least, If you feel like a “pro” writer and you enjoy writing long texts you can write a travel account (resoconto di viaggio) in Word or Pages (I can help you) and we can publish it as an e-book. Detailed instructions in class.
Last but not least. Put the LINK of your work/digital object as a Comment down here and remember to WRITE YOUR NAME AND THE TITLE OF YOUR WORK
We cannot wait to see, read and listen to your … creations 🙂
NB: Have a look at Ms Ziraldo’s post where you can see also the works of your 2F friends 🙂